Thursday, March 1, 2007

Comfort Curry

Because it's been so cold lately and I have some sicko's in my family right now (colds and such), I was inspired to make comfort food tonight. I usually open the veggie drawer to see what I've got to work with, then make the meal around that. What else could I do with cauliflower, butternut squash, ginger, garlic, cilantro and potatoes but make veggie curry?! But then what to serve it over?
A few years ago my parents discovered some really cool looking 'Forbidden Black Rice' at the co-op. It has a sweet, full and almost fruity flavor, plus I thought it would look awesome with bright yellow curry. It takes about an hour to cook, much longer than the standard basmati or jasmine, but it was definitely worth it tonight.
Every bite I took was a little sweet and spicy, so perfect for a cold evening. As I ate, the broth from the curry mixed with the rice and became a sweet, tangy deep purple jus...yum!!! Even better: I have tons of leftovers!

Here's what I threw in the pot:
-1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
-5 small potatoes, peeled and large dice
-1/2 butternut squash, peeled and large dice
-1 and 1/2 yellow onions, large dice
-5-ish cloves of garlic, finely chopped
-about 1 inch of ginger, finely chopped
-2 cups stock (I used chicken)
-1 big can (~30 oz.) organic chopped stewed tomatoes w/juice
-1 T. good curry powder (check it out first, people...I've ended up with curry powder that tasted like pumpkin pie before, yuck!)
-small pinch of cumin seeds, toasted
-s&p tt
-1/2 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped for garnish

I sweated the onions, garlic and ginger first, then threw everything else in and put a lid on it for 30 minutes or so.

'Forbidden' Black Rice (sounds spooky, huh)
-2 cups black rice
-3 1/2 cups water

steam for about an hour, then let sit for another 15 minutes or so.

If you try it out, let me know what you think, any cool variations, etc...I'd love to hear from you! -Kristen

No comments: